Monday, March 02, 2009

Advice: Concern for a Friend

Q:

My friend likes to Put on girl clothes and pretend he is a girl and have sex with his blanket. Is this wrong? if it is, what can I do?

A:


It's somewhat unusual, especially the part about having sex with his blanket. I assume you mean he is masturbating and somehow involving a comforting blanket in the act. There's nothing wrong with that -- perhaps messy -- nor with dressing up in girl's clothing.

If he is simply doing that in the privacy of his home, there should be no problem. Cross-dressing outside the home can cause problems. I'm not making a judgment, but society does. If you are school age, he will open himself to ridicule. And that can even be true for an adult. It's unfortunate, but that's just how society is.

As to the happy blanket situation, my question is whether this is a substitute for expressing his sexuality, whether straight or gay, with other humans. Especially if he is gay and either does not realize it or is afraid to admit it, and the blanket is a substitute for real relationships, that is not healthy.

I am not a trained therapist, so these are simply my opinions. If after reading this you remain concerned, you might suggest that your friend see a therapist and describe what he is doing to get a professional opinion.

No comments: